Beach Kids recognises that each child is an individual and when changes take place we aim to minimise disruption. Every child has a unique way in which they deal with change and when transitioning we accommodate their needs Beach Kids ensures a smooth transition for children coming to us from home or another centre. We aim to provide parents with support and encouragement, so they will feel confident and reassured about their decision to place their child in our care. Please note that this is just a guide as we treat each transition on a case-by-case nature.
Transition to Beach Kids Waihi
- Families arrange a visit to the centre prior to start date of which an orientation is given by the centre manager. This is the time to feel welcome, ask questions and begin to form an understanding of the environment.
- The centre manager will ask parents to complete a document that allows us to get to know your child better - what he/she enjoys, what he/she doesn't enjoy, what his/hers routines are etc.
- The child is allocated a special teacher who is responsible for support and liaison with families as to how the centre can best meet the individual's needs. This teacher forms a bond with your child.
- The length of time may vary with how long family wish to stay with their child in the centre during the settling period.
- The special teacher will continue to have ongoing discussion with each family to discuss how the child is assimilating in the environment. This key teacher is your main point of contact in the centre and will be responsible for documenting their learning progress.
Transition from our Under Twos Room to the Over Twos Environment
- As your child approaches two years old the centre manager will send an email or talk with you to discuss your child’s transition.
- An orientation will be offered to families and the length of transition will vary from child to child.
- The child is allocated new special teacher in the Over twos space who is responsible for support and liaison with families as to how the centre can best meet the individual's needs. This teacher forms a bond with your child.
- Families are welcome to visit the Over two space with their child should they feel it appropriate.
Transition from our Over Twos Environment to the School-Readiness Programme
- As your child approaches four years old the centre manager will send an email or talk with you to discuss your child’s transition into the School-readiness programme.
- You will be invited to have a discussion with the team leader of the School-readiness programme.
- Once you are comfortable with the transition process, we will begin assimilating your child into the school-readiness programme. Your child is welcome to revisit the over twos environment at any point over the transition process, until they are comfortable in the four-year-old space.
Transition from the School-Readiness Programme to Primary School
- As your child approaches five years old you will receive correspondence from the centre manager regarding transitioning your child to one of the local primary schools.
- We will inform you of dates of intakes and discuss with you times of visits to the schools. .
- If your child is attending different primary schools, arrangements will need to be made independent of Beach Kids.
If you feel Beach Kids Waihi is suitable for your child, please contact us. We would love to hear from you.